How to download iOS 16.1 Developer Beta. Apple announced the next major release of iOS and iPadOS at its WWDC22 keynote and has released both beta releases for developers to test on the iPhone and iPad. Meanwhile, the first public beta of iOS 16 will be released in July.
Keep in mind that running an early beta on a primary iPhone or iPad is usually a bad idea as there are performance and reliability issues that need to be addressed.
The first beta of iOS 16 is just under 5GB.
How to install iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 developer beta
If you are not already registered as an Apple developer, you need to do it here. Otherwise, you can wait for the free public beta program to launch in July.
- Make a fresh backup of your iPhone or iPad from your Mac or PC in case you want to downgrade your device at any time.
- On your iPhone or iPad, go to the Apple Developers site.
- Tap the two-line icon in the upper left corner, sign in if you’re not already signed in.
- Tap the two-line icon in the upper left corner again and select Downloads.
- Swipe down and tap Set Profile next to iOS 16 or iPadOS 16 beta.
- Click “Allow” to load the profile, click “Close”.
- Go to Settings on your device and click on Profile Loaded at the top.
- Click “Install” in the upper right corner, enter your password if necessary.
- Read the consent agreement, then click Install two more times.
- Your iPhone or iPad will prompt you to reboot to make the change.
- After rebooting, go back to Settings> General> Software Update.
- You should see iOS16 available, click Download and Install.
This is what the process looks like iOS16 on an iPhone: